- Rinse and dry the Eggplant thoroughly
- Apply some oil all over and keep it on an open flame to roast. This allows for a smoky flavor in the eggplant.
- Eggplant can be roasted in the oven as well, however, this will not give a deep smoky flavor
- Keep turning the eggplant after 2-3 minutes for even cooking
- Roast the eggplant until a knife can slide in without any resistance
- Once completely cooked, remove the eggplant from the flame and immerse in a bowl of cold water to cool it down
- Peel the skin of the eggplant and chop or mash
Preparing Baingan Bharta
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped garlic and onions
- Sauté the onions till translucent and add the green chilies and tomatoes
- Add the red chili powder and stir the mixture well
- Add the cooked eggplant and mix well with the masala mixture
- Season with salt and keep stirring for about 4-5 minutes
- Stir in the cilantro leaves
- Garnish the delicious smoky baingan bharta with cilantro leaves and serve hot with assorted breads
Check out other great recipes here!
Follow us on Instagram for more recipes, nutritional information and other great content!